Upgraded from an echo dot as it was on sale and happy with my purchase. It feels solidly made and something that will last. Great to have the visual side of it to be able to see how long to go on timers, watch the news, trailers etc and even song lyrics. The sound is great, loud, bassy and good enough to use on its own as a main music player. I find iam using it more now that i can see responses rather than just barking at a hockey puck. Also works well with the fire tv stick. No more having to type in searches. Not having any of the problems with alexa not hearing me like some have reported. She has responded every time, even if it was with the wrong answer :).
I’ve seen good and bad reviews of the echo show, a lot of bad reviews are not the fault of the product but their network provider, i’m with virgin and i get a great connection which helps with any of this type of product. In my view this does what it says, great connection to all my lights around the house, my kettle and my security lights. Amazon music works superb and it connects to my echo upstairs no problem giving me all round sound. No it’s not perfect but if you are after perfection buy an updated version in 10 years time.
I bought this to replace my ageing first generation of echo, which was still working ok but as i wanted to move that one to the home i needed a new one for the office. It ended up being a straight choice between the echo show and the echo spot. I opted for the show as i listen to a lot of radio in the office and the speakers were better than the spot, i’m happy enough with the choice in this regard as the sound is really rather good. Then there’s the screen, and a bigger screen was always going to win out when it comes to getting space on my desk to be honest. I find the touchscreen to be responsive, and of a good clear resolution that hasn’t disappointed in any way yet. Well, apart from one: the lack of being able to watch youtube videos on an echo show. I’ve docked a star from what would have been a five star review as this really is a significant defect in an otherwise near-perfect device. Amazon and google need to sort things out, shake hands (and exchange cash if need be) so that users are not losing out. Here are the specifications for the Amazon Echo Show:
- Echo Show brings you everything you love about Alexa, and now she can show you things. Watch video flash briefings, Amazon Video, see music lyrics, security cameras, photos, weather forecasts, to-do and shopping lists, browse and listen to Audible audiobooks, and more. All hands-free – just ask.
- Introducing a new way to be together. Make hands-free video calls to friends and family who have an Echo Show or the Alexa App, and make voice calls to anyone who has an Echo device or the Alexa App.
- See lyrics on-screen with Amazon Music. Just ask to play a song, artist or genre, and stream over Wi-Fi. Also, stream music on Spotify, TuneIn and RadioPlayer.
- Powerful, room-filling speakers with Dolby processing for crisp vocals and extended bass response. Play your music simultaneously across multiple Echo devices in separate rooms with multi-room music (available for Amazon Music, TuneIn and Spotify. Bluetooth not supported).
- Ask Alexa to show you the front door or monitor the baby’s room with compatible cameras from Ring and more. Turn on lights, control thermostats and more with WeMo, Philips Hue, Hive, and other compatible smart home devices.
- With eight microphones, beam-forming technology and noise cancellation, Echo Show hears you from any direction-even while music is playing.
- Always getting smarter and adding new features, plus thousands of skills such as BBC, Uber and Open Table.
I wasn’t really sure after reading the reviews saying that the echo show didn’t understand what people were saying as well as the standard echo and dot. But i decided to take a chance and i’m pleased that i did as we’ve had no problems with that at all and i find it comparable to our previous echo. I love that i could set a photo to be on the home screen, i had thought that i’d set it to rotate photos from my albums but that seemed fiddly and time consuming and so i found a lovely photo to use and i love it. I like that it acts as a clock and has the temperature too, i love that i can see the weather forecast in pictures as well as words and it’s handy that the screen is a touch screen. Overall, i think that it’s really impressive and if you’re new to alexa then this would be a great one to start with.
Already have an echo and and echo plus. Wanted one for the bedroom and opted for the echo show, haven’t been disappointed with the choice. I’ve set it with a timed do not disturb so if alexa gets randomly chatty like she sometimes does it doesn’t affect us. I’ve also set one of my favourite photos as a wallpaper. I like the way some song lyrics come up on the screen, also like if i wake during the night i can clearly see what time it is. I’ve set up an everywhere group so i can play the same music across all 3 echos. I could get really boring and go on and on, basically there’s nothing i don’t like about it.
Reviews from purchasers :
- A great and useful device.
- Almost the perfect smart speaker, only let down by the lack of YouTube videos
- Echo Show – So much better than audio only.
So much more useful than the audio-only devices. I can see the result of my interaction on-screen – good for watching short videos and news. I don’t understand the problems some reviewers are claiming about the sensitivity of the echo show to their voice – no problems here – even responds well to my wake-word of ‘computer’ which my echos and echo dots seemed to be reluctant to understand. I was lucky to buy this at the discounted price which makes it even more of a bargain. I have several echos and echo dots around the house – and i wouldn’t be without them.
I have quite a few echos and dots. I have 2 of these and by far my favourite echo device. Kids love the reading the lyrics, it’s a digital picture frame, it’s better at for monitoring your timers, its got better sound than the others, i can ‘drop in’ while the kids are having dinner, video briefings are great, integrates with my ring doorbell. The list of things that this has got going for it goes on and on. I just got this thing for the ring integration but you can do so much more. I just wish amazon would release one a device with built-in premium sound.